Summer is an excellent time to take advantage of local Farmer’s Markets and enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables. In fact, June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month.
Take advantage of the summer season and try some of these favorite recipes from Iona’s registered dietitian nutritionist Rose Clifford. These meals taste great, and are sure to wow your guests. They are easy to prepare, delicious, and nutrient-rich. * Please pay close attention to food allergies.
WHITE BEAN AND TUNA SALAD
This hearty salad is a complete meal high in both taste and nutrition. White beans combine with quality canned tuna, diced crisp fresh veggies, and a mustardy vinaigrette with hints of fresh lemon and basil – this salad is a favorite at Iona’s Take Charge/Age Well Academy food demonstrations.
- 1 can small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar/can of your favorite tuna, drained
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 heaping tsp. of grainy mustard
- 2-3 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1 grated carrot
- 3-4 green onions, chopped or 1/2 a small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 a chopped red or yellow pepper (or both)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Fresh garlic to taste
- Fresh basil to taste, chopped or snipped with scissors
- Lightly toss together all of the ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Serve over your favorite mixed salad greens with sliced tomatoes & enjoy!
ROSE & NINA’S FAVORITE SALAD
Our dietitian nutritionist Rose Clifford and Administrative Director Nina Austin eat this salad for lunch nearly every day! It comes together quickly, makes a great lunch or dinner side, and (of course) tastes delicious.
- One 5-oz box of arugula (or your favorite salad greens)
- One 11-oz can mandarin oranges packed in juice, drained
- 4-6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, optional
- 2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic or sherry vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. grainy mustard (optional)
- Place arugula in a salad bowl. Top with mandarin oranges, feta, pecans, and cranberries.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad, toss, and serve.
VEGGIE HUMMUS WRAP
Easy to assemble, these tasty wraps make a great lunch, dinner, or snack (and are perfect to bring to a picnic!)
- Whole grain wrap
- Hummus (your favorite flavor)
- Salad greens (we like to use an arugula/spinach mix, but anything will work)
- Red & yellow pepper, sliced
- Cucumber, sliced
- Carrots, grated
- Tomato, diced
- Feta cheese, crumbled (or your favorite cheese)
- Sunflower seeds (or your favorite chopped nut)
- Your favorite salad dressing (we like to use a lemon vinaigrette)
- Black pepper (optional)
- Spread a layer of hummus down the middle of the wrap.
- Top with salad greens and other raw sliced or chopped veggies of your choice.
- Sprinkle sunflower seed kernels (or other chopped nuts) over the veggies.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta (or other crumbled or grated cheese) over the veggies/seeds.
- Drizzle with lemon vinaigrette (or your favorite dressing). You can also just drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and squeeze fresh lemon over the filling.
- Sprinkle with black pepper for a bit of heat (optional).
- Fold over the ends, and roll up to make a wrap. Cut into slices, if desired, for sharing or ease of eating.
Whether you visit a National Park, a mall, the National Mall, host a picnic or party, or just enjoy your own backyard, these quick recipes will be great additions to any of your summer activities.