January 17, 2020
Full-time Social Worker
Iona is pleased to announce that we are hiring a full-time Social Worker for our new adult day health center opening in Congress Heights. We are a nonprofit organization that directly helps 3,000 older adults and families with the challenges and opportunities of aging in the greater Washington, DC area. Since 1975, we have educated, advocated, and provided community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well. Iona’s suite of services include: Consultation, Care Management, and Counseling (CCMC), our award-winning adult day health program, Active Wellness Program at St. Alban’s, support groups, home-delivered meals, and more. Iona is a warm and collegial workplace that promotes excellence in client services and is committed to the professional growth of employees. For more information about Iona, please visit www.iona.org.
The Social Worker will coordinate social services for the participants, families, and caregivers of the adult day health center. The Social Worker will organize and facilitate the initial assessment, care planning, and discharge process, serve as member of the interdisciplinary team, and assist in the on-going evaluation of the adult day health center.
The Social Worker shares the responsibility with all staff for assisting clients as needed; promoting community awareness of Iona Senior Services and other community resources; and participating in planning, fundraising, volunteer recruitment and other agency-wide efforts which support the whole organization.
New Participant Enrollment and Discharge
- Facilitate enrollment of new participants through initial interview/assessment, counseling, and scheduling care plan meetings.
- Assess psycho-social needs with Care Plan Team and determine care needs of each potential participant.
- Develop the participant’s Plan of Care within 14 business days of admission; in consultation with the participant, their representatives, and the care team.
- Entering monthly notes in each participant’s record.
- Plan for and provide information to participants and caregivers regarding services available throughout transition period and upon discharge.
Counseling/Group Work/Community Outreach
- Assist participants and their families with program adjustment; make referrals for other services as needed.
- Advise and keep informed all center staff and caregivers involved in the participants care of current psycho-social issues pertaining to participant and available community resources on a regular and routine basis.
- Lead regular social work group programs in coordination with the Program Manager or designee.
- Provide counseling, education, and/or crisis intervention as needed to participants, caregivers, and staff
- Determine the need and feasibility of groups and other programs for caregiver support on an ongoing basis and work with other Iona staff to provide these programs.
- Determine the need for additional health care or other services and facilitate the referral process for those services.
- Coordinate with Care Plan Team to ensure scheduled completion of all care plans in accordance with required timelines.
- Maintain departmental compliance with Medicaid, Department of Aging and Community Living regulations as they relate to social services.
- Maintain ongoing evaluation of participant’s progress with the entire staff
- Participate in planning and facilitating in-service training with and for the entire staff.
- Complete outcome tracking activities for all participants.
- Assist Director in the ongoing evaluation and plans for growth of the center.
- Support program and nursing staff when needed with daily activities.
- Meet continuing education requirements for professional development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in social work. DC license required.
- One year of experience working with older adults in a social service or healthcare setting.
- Experience working with clients living with dementia and their caregivers as well as experience in an interdisciplinary setting.
- Initial and annual chest x-ray/PPD or medical certification.
- First aid and CPR certification.
Iona has a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a 403(b) retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. To apply, please download and complete the application form, then email it to email@example.com, or submit your letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iona is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Iona also makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire, and promote qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities.