POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – 4/19/21
Iona Senior Services is a vibrant and innovative nonprofit organization that directly helps over 3,500 older adults and families with the challenges and opportunities of aging in the greater Washington D.C. area each year. Since 1975, we have educated, advocated and provided community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well. Iona’s robust and growing suite of services includes consultation, care management and counseling, adult day health care, active wellness programs, support groups, classes, home-delivered meals, information and referral and much more. For more information about Iona, please visit www.iona.org. Iona is fortunate to have a Board, staff and community of committed supporters. This is an exciting new chapter in the organization’s history. The organization has a healthy financial outlook, and strong relationships with long-term funders. Iona actively engaging stakeholders while cultivating new partners and developing new revenue streams.
The Sr. Director of Initiatives and Operations is responsible for managing multiple organization wide strategic initiatives and ensuring the organization’s operations run efficiently and effectively, helping to maximize and monitor Iona’s performance. These efforts include Strategic Initiatives, Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources and Center Management. The Sr. Director will be responsible for collaborating with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Sr. Director of Programs and Directors from across the organization to develop, communicate and help implement strategies to drive growth. The Sr. Director is part of Executive Director’s management team.
- The Sr. Director, in coordination with the Executive Director, is responsible for coordinating, managing, and implementing multiple strategic initiatives and projects that are critical to the evolution, growth and improvement of Iona. Projects may include the creation, day to day management, and follow through of strategic ideas and imperatives from the Executive Director, Board of Directors and Directors. The Sr. Director collaborates and advises closely with the Sr. Director of Programs on various initiatives
- Projects are concurrent and ongoing, involving various stakeholders, complex logistics, operational processes, and completion of timely multi-phased deliverables.
- Oversees and ensures the accurate and timely completion of project milestones. May assist in implementing plans or specific aspects of different initiatives. Reports on results and key metrics as applicable. Evaluates and maintains quality and improves processes. Acts as a relationship hub with Directors and staff on strategic activities. Plans and coordinates related meetings, logistics, and tracks results.
- Creates multi-year project forecasting and budgets. Deploys resources across the organization. May coordinate the work of external advisors.
- Organization Wide Projects– These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Iona’s Strategic Plan
- Iona’s Annual Work Plan
- New Adult Day Health Center Development
- Transition to Client Relations Management System.
- Contract negotiations and implementation with managed care organizations for the provision of adult day health services under Medicaid.
- Works with the Executive Director and Directors to recognize internal and external strategic opportunities that are critical to the evolution, growth, and impact of Iona.
- Performs other duties, special projects and responsibilities assigned by the Executive Director.
Board Development and Board Relations:
- Together with the Executive Director, provides regular reports to the Board of Directors and Board of Associates, prepares documents for meetings, and regularly advises as requested. Serves as staff representative on Board committees at the invitation of the Executive Director.
Budgeting and Financial Management:
- Support the Director of Finance in the development of an annual budget and ongoing monitoring of expenses each month. Manage contracts for Fannie Mae and other employee eldercare opportunities, Medicaid and VA Adult Day Health, aging in community Villages, and other revenue generating programs and services.
- Oversees work to ensure the organization’s administrative operations run efficiently and effectively. This includes the areas of Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources and Center Management.
- Administration– acts as the administration hub for Iona. May coordinate with external advisors as necessary.
- Information Technology: Manages the organization’s data and quality management. Provides oversight and guidance to accomplish data integrity, data security and database management goals. Supports Director of Administrative Operations’ work managing Information Technology at Iona.
- Human Resources: Oversees HR function, including workforce planning, recruiting, compensation and benefits administration, employee relations, performance evaluations, personnel files, compliance, professional development, transition, and risk management. Helps bring standardization, improvement, and process protocols. Strives to strengthen Iona’s culture to de-silo staff and programs. Prioritizes and strives to assist Executive Director, Directors and employees in achieving an equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization. In coordination with the Executive Director, supports the management team with professional development opportunities, including a focus on collaboration.
- Center Management– Provide oversight of Center Management (facilities) at both Tenleytown and Congress Heights locations. Ensure Iona complies with all business requirements and permits in DC, Maryland and Virginia.
- Provide oversight and direct management of Director, Administrative Operations, Sr. Manager/Director, Center Management.
Iona is seeking a dynamic Sr. Director with 10+ years of progressively responsible years of progressively responsible experience in a related nonprofit operations role. Bachelor’s degree, MBA or related advanced degree preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and act tactically. Understands ambiguity and can work autonomously. Skilled at translating complex concepts to employees at all levels of the organization. Superior critical thinking skills, including the capacity to identify and appropriately assess and order competing interests and priorities.
- Experience successfully working with Board of Directors and leadership to deliver strategic objectives.
- Must have the demonstrated ability to link strategic initiatives to achieving organizational objectives. Strong analytical, problem solving and strategic planning capabilities.
- Strong understanding of non-profit core operations. Experience in managing Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources and Center Management. Strong experience and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 (especially Excel and PowerPoint and Teams). Working understanding of hardware and software installation/maintenance, specialized databases, and telephones, training of staff, and in work-from-home (WFH) capacities.
- Strong supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of budgeting, financial management and data analysis. Must have the ability to provide metrics, trend analysis, and projections. Capable of dissecting complex and ambiguous issues, analyze data, and draw insights to inform decisions.
- Strong experience and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 (especially Excel and PowerPoint and Teams). Working understanding of hardware and software installation/maintenance, specialized databases, and telephones, training of staff, and in work-from-home (WFH) capacities.
- Knowledge of the aging services community, DC Medicaid and DC Department of Aging and Community Living strongly preferred.
- Adept, consultative approach and demonstrated ability to act as an internal advisor to the Executive Director and synergize effectively with the Sr. Director of Programs.
- Excellent influence and coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Superior project management skills including managing multiple and ongoing projects; planning from inception to completion; mapping out a timeline(s); executing or delegation of phases; creating, allocating and maintaining a budget; communicating to stakeholders; troubleshooting; and advise on delivering and maintaining the end results.
- Strong integrity, ethics and professionalism and a commitment to advancing Iona’s mission.
- Excellent communication skills, written, spoken and presentation.
- Ability to develop a meaningful internal understanding of the organization, successful interpersonal relationships and culture.
Iona has a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a 403(b)-retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expand HR Consulting (EHR) has been retained to conduct the search. To apply, please submit your letter of interest and resume to EHR, Erica Raphael: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iona is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.