We’re seeking passionate volunteers to join Iona’s Pipeline Sustainability Committee. Team members of our committee are committed to Iona’s mission and willing to roll up their sleeves to meet our sustainability goals.
Overview of the role
As a member of the committee, you’d help to develop opportunities to introduce new people to our mission, engage them in our important work, and cultivate a deeper relationship with them through our Heart of Iona tours and annual Heart of Caring fundraising event. This is a collaborative group that brings many different skills and backgrounds to the table.
Especially during the current COVID-19 pandemic, we will be looking to committee members to reimagine how we can tell compelling stories and engage people in Iona’s mission virtually.
Below we’ve outlined some of the characteristics needed for successful committee members. We don’t expect you to have all of these skills, but please apply if you see yourself playing a role here or if you’re particularly skilled in one area. Please note that all volunteers must be 21+.
- Action-oriented. You know how to get things done. You offer advice and feedback, but also like to roll up your sleeves and get to work. You have the time and capacity to plan and implement programs to meet our goals.
- Persistent. You know that change happens incrementally. You love to set challenging (yet realistic) goals and then develop plans to deliver and achieve them.
- Organized and detail-oriented. You know how to manage projects. You can communicate clearly and concisely in email, on the phone, and in-person. When you see a problem, you come up with creative solutions and then implement them. You are a strong planner and enjoy coordinating logistics.
- Relationship-builder. You enjoy developing relationships with other people. You’re a great conversationalist (and listener) and like talking on the phone.
- Savvy storyteller and communicator. You know what makes a “sizzling” story and how to share stories in an effective way that can change hearts and minds.
Time Commitment: The committee will meet at least once monthly. Time and date will be determined by committee members. In addition to regular meetings, you may be delegated tasks to complete on your own. You may expect to spend 1-2 hrs. per week (depending on time of year—Heart of Caring planning may require more time; there may be other times when you don’t have any standing projects). As a team member, you commit to serving for at least one year on the committee. Meetings will be held virtual for the foreseeable future, and committee members must be able to access email and video conferencing tools, primarily Zoom.
How to Join: Contact Annual Giving Manager Rosie Aquila at Raquila@iona.org to learn more about the volunteer role and schedule a follow-up phone call.
We are a nonprofit organization that directly helps 3,500 older adults and families with the challenges and opportunities of aging in the greater Washington, DC area. Since 1975, we have educated, advocated, and provided community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well. Iona’s suite of services include: Consultation, Care Management, and Counseling (CCMC), our award-winning adult day health program, Active Wellness Program at St. Alban’s, support groups, home-delivered meals, and more.