Iona’s leadership and staff have been closely following the developing COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak. The health and welfare of our clients, staff, and volunteers is our top priority. As such, it is ever more important to remain vigilant as the situation regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve. We encourage everyone to monitor updates and take hygiene precautions as suggested by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
If you have any questions about what you may expect from Iona, please give us a call at 202-895-9448. Any changes or updates to our programs will be communicated via email, social media channels, and posted here.
Update to Services and Programs, As of May 13, 2020
Iona has suspended all of our in-person programs and services. Our main building located at 4125 Albemarle Street NW, Washington, DC 20016 is closed and staff is working remotely.
We are able to serve members of the community in the following ways:
- Helpline continues to operate our normal hours, M-F from 9am-5pm. If you have any aging- or caregiving-related questions, please call 202-895-9448 or email email@example.com.
- Case Management has transitioned to care coordination and wellness check-ins via phone calls from our social workers. Some programs are still receiving new clients and we will be able to work with you over the phone. Please call 202-895-9448 to see if you qualify. DC Council passed emergency legislation that will extend our clients’ public benefits and ensure they are safe from eviction notices, utility shut-offs, and other concerns.
- Iona Care Management consultations for family caregivers (local or long-distance) or older adults who want to plan ahead for their aging are now available through phone or videoconferencing. Our care managers are able to assist with advance care planning and navigating health care issues during COVID-19. To learn more about how we can help, click here. To schedule a consultation, call 202-895-9448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support Groups and Psychotherapy Sessions have moved to videoconferencing.
- Around Town DC is now a virtual wellness site for all older adults in the District, with fitness classes, discussion groups, workshops, and more happening via online technologies. Around Town DC’s website also has an excellent resource page for different online activities and resources. Visit it here.
- Home Delivered Meals are now weekly frozen meal deliveries through the DC Department of Aging and Community Living. To see if you qualify and enroll, call us at 202-895-9448. In addition, our Helpline staff can direct you to other emergency food and nutrition services that may be available.
- Iona’s Active Wellness Program at St. Alban’s is closed until May 15. Effective Wednesday, March 18, frozen meals will be delivered to participants.
- Wellness & Arts Center is currently closed until May 15. We are offering virtual activities for participants and their family members.
- Club Memory is postponed until May 15.
- Take Charge/Age Well Academy classes are postponed until May 15.
- Fitness Classes happening at Iona are canceled until May 15. We are offering classes virtually through Around Town DC. See our offerings here.
- Loan Closet is no longer accepting donations, nor are we able to distribute any items during this time.
- Saturday Respite Program is canceled until further notice.
If you have questions about what to expect from Iona’s programs, please give us a call at 202-895-9448.
PLEASE NOTE: We continue to monitor daily communications from the CDC, Department on Aging and Community Living (DACL), and District of Columbia public health sources so that we can stay informed and respond quickly to new guidelines.
A fast-changing, public health crisis such as this demands consistent communication. We are committed to providing you with information, updated regularly.