POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT- 06/19/18
Information & Referral/Intake Specialist:
Iona Senior Services is seeking a qualified part-time Information & Referral/Intake Specialist to engage with inquirers to Iona’s Information & Referral Helpline to accurately assess inquirers’ needs; and to provide sensitive, confidential information & referral to inquirers. The Specialist also completes intakes for the DC Office on Aging’s services provided at Iona; makes referrals to other Iona programs; as clinically appropriate, collects demographic data on inquirers; and works with the I&R team to improve quality of service.
Iona Senior Services is a not-for-profit organization now celebrating its 42nd year of operation. Iona supports people as they experience the challenges and opportunities of aging. We educate, advocate, and provide community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well. Iona’s family of services include: Consultation, Care Management and Counseling (CCMC), our award-winning Wellness & Arts Center, Active Wellness Program at St. Alban’s, support groups, workshops, home-delivered meals and more. We are located in Washington, DC just minutes from the AU/Tenleytown Metro.
I&R Helpline Coverage
- Engage effectively with each inquirer.
- Accurately assess each inquirer’s needs.
- Provide confidential information & referral to inquirers, including educating inquirers about their options.
- As appropriate, complete intakes for DC Office on Aging services provided by Iona.
- As appropriate, make referrals for other Iona programs, including offering to add inquirers to Iona’s mailing lists.
- As appropriate, make referrals to Iona partner programs.
- As appropriate, provide additional help directly or connect the inquirer to the Social Worker in Charge (SWIC).
- As appropriate, collect demographic data on inquirers, and enter data into Iona’s client database.
- As requested, participate in quality-assurance and follow-up activities.
- Chart inquiry/call notes in Iona’s client database in accordance with I&R charting policy.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings.
Liaison to Partner Programs
- With I&R manager, serve as liaison to Legal Counsel for the Elderly’s Self Help Office and Health Insurance Counseling Project at Iona.
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or related discipline (Master’s preferred); or Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related discipline; and must be eligible for DC Licensure.
- Master’s degree with two years or Bachelor’s degree with five years of geriatric case management, information & referral, hotline or related experience.
- Clear, articulate voice and highly professional phone etiquette.
- Experience with crisis intervention and strong problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional ability to develop rapport in a phone contact and engage callers.
- Highly developed interviewing and active listening skills.
- Ability to make an accurate assessment based on information learned in a phone interview.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability to maintain complete and accurate records of calls and referrals.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to accurately collect and record demographic and referral data for each call.
- Strong internet research skills.
- Ability to maintain a flexible attitude and independently exercise good judgment while working collaboratively as a member of the I&R team.
- Ability to learn database software, perform accurate data entry and assist with data management.
- Preferred: working knowledge of federal and DC metro area public benefits and senior community services.
Package includes health, vision, and dental insurance, vacation, sick leave, and retirement plan prorated for part-time employees. To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iona Senior Services, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to diversity within its staff, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.