Iona has many rewarding volunteer opportunities for people of all ages, skills, and experiences.
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Food Pantry Plus – DRIVERS NEEDED!
Time: Weekdays, Two Shifts: 10:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. * Volunteers commit to one time slot per week. *
Individuals deliver food and other necessary items to our most vulnerable clients in Ward 3 and throughout the District.
Volunteers must have their own vehicles, be able to lift 20 lbs, be over 21, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and follow CDC hygiene protocols.
SHARE Food Network – DRIVERS NEEDED!
Time: Once a month, Fridays from 3:00-5:00 PM
Individuals deliver food and other necessary items to our most vulnerable clients in Ward 2 & 3. Groceries are picked up at Blessed Sacrament Church, 3630 Quesada St. NW, in Chevy Chase Circle.
Volunteers must have their own vehicles, be able to lift 20 lbs, be over 21, be in good health, and follow CDC hygiene protocols.
Host a Food or Product Drive for Iona’s Food Pantry Plus
Individuals and groups are invited to collect and donate shelf-stable food, personal-care items, and basic necessities for vulnerable older clients. To organize a food or product drive, contact Tania Sechriest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find a list of our requested food and products here. Grocery store gift cards are also welcome.
Due to space and staffing constraints, please contact Iona before dropping off items.
Facilitate a Support Group
Iona offers a number of support groups for older adults and family caregivers. We are actively seeking qualified volunteers to facilitate support groups. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Bill Amt, Psychotherapist, Mental Health and Support Groups Manager, here.
We welcome hundreds of volunteers each year including:
- Individuals and families who want to give back to the community
- Community organizations such as the Masons or Junior League, school groups and scout troops, faith communities, and law firms that want to collaborate on a project or develop an on-going relationship with us
- Employers interested in sponsoring community service days
- Students with service learning requirements who are able to commit 20 hours of their time during a semester or summer
People my age don’t realize how fun it is to work with older folks, including those with dementia. They think it must be depressing, but it’s the complete opposite. Volunteering at Iona lifts my spirits and grounds my week.”
– Jessica Shoemaker, 29
- Download Iona’s Adult Volunteer Application
- Download Iona’s Under 18 Volunteer Application
- Contact Tania Gembala Sechriest, Iona’s Volunteer Program Manager, by calling (202) 895-9419 or by email.
On occasion, applications find their way into Iona’s spam. Please contact us at (202) 895-9448 if you haven’t heard back within a week of submitting your application.