Job Posting – September 9, 2022
Iona Senior Services is a vibrant and innovative nonprofit organization that directly helps over 3,500 older adults and families with the challenges and opportunities of aging in the greater Washington D.C. area each year. Since 1975, we have educated, advocated and provided community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well. Iona’s robust and growing suite of services includes consultation, care management and counseling, adult day health care, active wellness programs, support groups, classes, home-delivered meals, information and referral and much more. For more information about Iona, please visit www.iona.org. Iona is fortunate to have a Board, staff and community of committed supporters. This is an exciting new chapter in the organization’s history. The organization has a healthy financial outlook, and strong relationships with long-term funders. Iona actively engaging stakeholders while cultivating new partners and developing new revenue streams.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Development is responsible for creating and implementing a sustainable philanthropic giving and marketing strategy for the organization. As a member of Iona’s senior leadership team, the Director contributes to the overall strategic direction and growth of Iona. Fundraising accounts for 80% of the position, and marketing 20%. The goal for this fiscal year is to raise at least $1.8 million and expand Iona’s corporate sponsorship!
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner with the CEO, development team, and board Sustainability Committee to create and implement a multiyear, multi-channel fundraising and marketing strategy to meet fundraising goals, diversify funding and increase major donor philanthropy.
- Research, recommend and develop strategies to diversify Iona’s funding sources and effectively create new revenue streams.
- Cultivate, develop, and maintain relationships with key donors.
- Plan and manage all fundraising activities and events.
- Identify, research, cultivate, and develop relationships with prospective new major donors, corporate partners, and foundations.
- Develop and implement the annual development calendar, monitor progress toward goals and adjust as needed to meet annual goals.
- Provide oversight for timely submission of well-written grant proposals and reports.
- Oversee the development and management of philanthropic partnerships.
- Collaborate with program staff to create compelling funding requests and showcase programs to funders.
- Oversee direct mail and annual fund campaigns and collaborate with the Communications Manager to produce Iona’s annual report.
- Oversee online giving campaigns, multi-channel campaigns, donor newsletter, and donor stewardship publications/mailings.
- Develop and implement marketing strategy to promote Iona’s programs and services.
- Work strategically with program teams to actively market, promote, and enhance the organization’s mission and goals and services.
- Board of Directors and Board of Associates
- Help identify, vet, and set recruitment strategies to attract a pipeline of potential Board nominees who will support fundraising goals.
- Assist CEO in preparation for board meetings as necessary. Attends meetings of both boards, providing updates on progress toward fundraising goals.
- Manage the Sustainability Committee, including setting agendas for monthly meetings and supporting Committee outreach, cultivation strategies and activities.
- Staff Management
- Lead, manage and develop department staff and contractors.
- Manage employee performance throughout the year and conducts performance evaluations.
- Continually strive to strengthen Iona’s organizational culture. Accountable to prioritize support for CEO, Directors and employees in achieving an equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization.
- Financial Management
- Work with the CEO and Finance Department to prepare annual department budget and monitor monthly reports to determine necessary changes to achieve balance at year’s end.
- Work closely with the CEO and Finance Department to ensure that fundraising goals align with Iona’s revenue targets.
- Data Integrity
- Oversee donor record management and gift documentation in Raiser’s Edge and ensure timely and personalized acknowledgment of donor gifts.
- Oversee data integrity of Raiser’s Edge and Luminate databases.
- Promote and support Iona inside and outside the organization.
Iona is seeking a dynamic Director with 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a development role with significant major donor and/or corporate philanthropy experience. Nonprofit social services experience strongly desired. Undergraduate degree in social services, nonprofit management, business management or a related field; graduate degree strongly preferred. Additional requirements include:
- Proven track record of successful fundraising, building sustained relationships with funders, clients/customers, and donors. Understanding of major gift fundraising, with the ability and enthusiasm to involve and solicit supporters for current and planned gifts, foundation/corporate grant writing and direct mail/annual fund appeals (print and online).
- Understanding of a nonprofit organization with government, foundation, corporate, individual donor and fee revenue sources. Demonstrated experience in marketing and promoting the development department’s activities and achievements externally and internally.
- Knowledge of the Benevon® Model of Sustainable Fundraising.
- Knowledge of development-related technology tools, ideally Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Possesses executive presence, influence and strong relationship building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Proven experience leading and managing a development team.
Iona has a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a 403(b)-retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expand HR Consulting (EHR) has been retained to conduct the search. To apply, please submit your letter of interest and resume to EHR, Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iona is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.