POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT- 7/9/2020
Iona is pleased to announce that we are hiring a Communications Manager. We are a nonprofit organization that directly helps 3,500 older adults and families with the challenges and opportunities of aging in the greater Washington, DC area. Since 1975, we have educated, advocated, and provided community-based programs and services to help people age well and live well.
Iona’s suite of services include: Consultation, Care Management and Counseling, our award-winning adult day health program, Active Wellness Program at St. Alban’s, support groups, home-delivered meals, and more.
Iona is fortunate to have a community of committed supporters. We have strong relationships with long-term funders, actively engaging stakeholders while cultivating new partners and developing new revenue streams.
About the Role
In this role, the Communications Manager, will be responsible for for the creation of development-specific communication strategy with the goals of educating, engaging, cultivating, and inspiring support, among other duties. These responsibilities require strong writing and communication skills, the ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle competing priorities, diplomacy, and a forward-looking, proactive, efficient, and results-focused mindset. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will work remotely, until all staff are safely welcomed back into our Tenleytown location.
- Collaborates with the Director of Development and Communications to develop and write creative and persuasive fundraising pieces that communicate the value and impact of Iona.
- Manages online appeal campaigns, including writing content, designing graphics, and managing any cross-channel messaging on social media.
- Collaborates with the fundraising team to create direct mail packages and other collateral materials to engage and retain current donors, as well as influence prospective donors.
- Manages the development of quarterly donor newsletters and other impact communications for donors.
- Manages content of new and evergreen assets including donation forms, crowdfunding campaigns, and other elements of the digital donor experience.
- Manages external communications efforts on behalf of Iona, in coordination and partnership with the Director of Development and Communications.
- Supports other departments with content development, visual and graphic design to ensure brand consistency.
- Manages organization’s website.
- Bachelor’s degree required. 5 years of related experience in communications experience in a development department non-profit setting, including two years of experience managing internal communications.
- Must be a strong writer with proven ability to develop high-level, compelling copy. Ability to quickly synthesize complex ideas and turn them into compelling material.
- Must be persistent and able to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a warm, amiable personality. Ability to interact professionally and effectively and maintain positive relationships with staff, donors, and others.
- Excellent organization skills, attentiveness to detail and ability to focus on under pressure.
Flexibility, patience, and a sense of humor.
Iona offers a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a 403(b)-retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. To apply, please submit your letter of interest and resume to Expand HR Consulting, Erica Raphael: .
Iona is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.