Artists’ Call Details
In honor of Iona’s expansion to Wards 7 and 8 (more details below), and building bridges with communities East of the River, the Lois & Richard England Gallery at Iona is seeking professional artists who live or work in Wards 7 and 8 (East of the Anacostia River) of Washington, DC to exhibit their two-dimensional works of art, including paintings and/or mixed-media compositions. Any style will be considered, including small 3D work. Please, no photographs, digital, or computer-generated works.
Exhibition dates: February 21 – May 21, 2020.
Eligibility: Open to professional artists age 60+, living or working in Ward 7 and Ward 8, Washington, DC.
Entry Fee: None.
|Friday, December 20, 2019||Submission deadline|
|Monday, December 30, 2019||Notification to selected artists (No communication is accepted prior to this)|
|Week of January 13, 2019||Curator makes studio visits|
|Monday-Tuesday, February 3-4, 2020
10am – 2pm
|Art drop off; signed contracts due|
|Friday, February 21, 2020, 5-7pm||Opening reception|
|February 21 – May 21, 2020||Exhibition run|
|Friday, May 22, 2020||Art pick up|
- Up to 10 images (saved as .jpg) to be sent as attachments to email, together with Entry Application, and 1-2 page CV.
- Each image size should be less than 2MB, with longest side at less than 1600 pixels, and resolution set at 72 dpi.
- Identify each image file. Numbering must correspond with list on Entry Application.
- All artwork must be the artist’s original creation within the last 10 years and must be available throughout the exhibition.
- Artwork should not exceed 50-inches in width, including frame, and should weigh less than 30-lbs.
- Artwork must be framed, labeled on the back with artist’s name, title, & number to correspond with list on Entry Application, and ready to hang when delivered.
- Artist or designated agent must deliver and retrieve works to/from gallery only during designated dates and times. Gallery will not accept crated or packaged artwork.
Send JPGs, Entry Application Form, and 1-2 page CV to gallery@Iona.org.
Please note that no other form of communication with the Gallery is accepted prior to the artists’ notification on Monday, December 30, 2019.
About the Lois & Richard England Gallery at Iona
Since 1975, Iona has been a respected and trusted non-profit leader providing essential services for the Washington, DC metropolitan area’s older adults and their families. We support people as they experience the challenges and opportunities of aging. We educate, advocate, and provide community-based services to help people age well and live well. The Lois & Richard England Gallery at Iona, regularly features artworks by local, vibrant artists age 60+. This gallery is a platform that showcases our mission in action, and inspires creativity, community building, and self-expression in older adults. The Gallery is located at Iona’s main building, in the Tenleytown neighborhood of Northwest Washington, DC
Exciting News Regarding Iona’s Expanded Services East of the River
In the spring of 2020, Iona will open an adult day health center in Southeast Washington, at The Shops at Park Village (intersection of Alabama and Stanton Roads S.E.).
More than 20,000 Washingtonians over age 60 live in Wards 7 and 8—wards with the least access to many basic necessities such as health care, access to nutritious food, and public safety. With Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Type 2 Diabetes on the rise nationally, and with African Americans twice as likely to have Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia than Caucasian older adults, there is a real urgency to opening an adult day center in Ward 8. No one understands this more than the overwhelmed family caregivers who don’t know where to turn for support.
Working in partnership with communities in Wards 7 & 8 all of this is about to change. This spring, Iona will open a 9,000-square-foot light-ﬁlled space that will house Iona East, featuring the same high-quality program, resources, and leadership as the Wellness & Arts Center on Albemarle Street, N.W.