I know it can be daunting to think about trying something new. What will it be like? Who will be there?
Let me give you six reasons to join one of Iona and Whitman-Walker Health’s Silver Circles, which are peer-led groups for LGBTQ folks over 60.
1. It’s a way to meet new people!
As we age, our circles can shrink, for a variety of reasons. Joining a Silver Circle will expand your network. AND, we plan some fun social activities that will bring folks from all the different Silver Circles together.
2. The peer support leaders have been trained to create a safe and welcoming space for you.
Trust me when I say they are really eager to have new folks join the conversation!
3. Aging doesn’t have to be a lonely experience.
There are tons of us going through it at the same time.
4. Iona offers a wide range of services that you might want to connect with at some point.
Being in a group makes it easier to find out about them.
5. There’s a lot of laughter, and a lot of important sharing, that takes place in this twice-monthly meetings.
Come find out if it’s right for you. It might just be!
6. These groups are funded by the DC Office on Aging (DCOA).
Let’s show DCOA that there is a demand for LGBTQ-focused funding.
To join a group, contact Michael Mitchell of Whitman-Walker, who does all the intake phone calls. He will help you figure out which of our five groups is best for you. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org and his phone number is 202-939-7646.
By Susan Messina
Susan is Iona’s Deputy Director. She holds three master’s degrees, including two from Bryn Mawr’s Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research. Susan has presented on many topics affecting the LGBTQ communities, including what factors contribute to aging well, aging in place, health advocacy, and more. Susan also manages our Silver Circle program.